Both crowns and most bridges are fixed prosthetic devices that are cemented to existing teeth or implants, and can only be removed by a dentist. A crown is used to entirely cover or “cap” a damaged tooth. A dental crown is a permanent covering that fits over the original tooth. Porcelain crowns have a natural appearance and can whiten, reshape, and realign existing teeth, adding to a healthy stronger and vibrant smile.
When do you need a dental crown?
- To protect a broken or weak tooth. A tooth severely worn down by decay.
- To cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t a lot of tooth left.
- To hold a dental bridge in place.
- To cover a dental implant
- To make a cosmetic modification.
Bridges literally bridge the gap created by one or more missing teeth. A bridge is made up of two or more crowns for the teeth on either side of the gap. These anchoring teeth are called abutment teeth—a false tooth/teeth in between. These false teeth are called “pontics” and can be made from gold, alloys, porcelain or a combination of these materials. Dental bridges are supported by natural teeth or implants.
Benefits of a Dental Bridge:
- Restore your smile.
- Restore the ability to properly chew and speak.
- Maintain the shape of your face.
- Distribute the forces in your bite properly by replacing missing teeth.
- Prevent remaining teeth from drifting out of position.
Types of Dental Bridges Available are:
- Traditional bridges involve creating a crown for the tooth or implant on either side of the missing tooth, with a Pontic in between. This is the most common type of bridge and are made of either porcelain fused to metal or ceramics.
- Cantilever bridges are used when there are adjacent teeth on only one side of the missing tooth or teeth. This is not very common anymore and is not recommended in the back of the mouth where it can put too much force on other teeth and damage them.
- Maryland bonded bridges (also called a resin-bonded bridge or a Maryland bridge) are made of porcelain, porcelain fused to metal, or plastic teeth and gums supported by a metal or porcelain framework. Metal or porcelain wings on each side of the bridge are bonded to your existing teeth.
We provide Full Service Dental Care in The Villages. Contact us today with any questions you may have. We would love to hear from you . . . 352-751-5777.